In the Lees Brook Mathematics Department our aim is to equip all pupils with the skills, knowledge and confidence to solve a range of problems through fluency with numbers and mathematical thinking. Pupils are encouraged to develop confidence in and a positive attitude towards mathematics. Our pupils are guided to see the importance of mathematics in their own lives and society.
Our mathematics curriculum gives pupils the opportunity to:
- Become fluent in the fundamentals of mathematics, through varied and frequent practice with increasingly complex problems over time, so that pupils develop conceptual understanding and the ability to recall and apply knowledge rapidly and accurately.
- Reason mathematically by following a line of enquiry, conjecturing relationships and generalisations, and developing an argument, justification or proof using mathematical language.
- Solve problems by applying their mathematics to a variety of routine and non-routine problems with increasing sophistication, including breaking down problems into a series of simpler steps and preserving in seeking solutions.
- Communicate, justify, argue and prove using mathematical vocabulary.
- Develop their character, including resilience, confidence and independence, so that they contribute positively to the life of the school, their local community and the wider environment.