Here at Lees Brook Community School, we offer all our students the opportunity to participate in a broad range of activities outside of curriculum time. We actively encourage all students to take part in leading and volunteering experiences both in school and within the local community.
The school advertises these leadership opportunities through curriculum departments, in assemblies and through information shared by form tutors.
- Express an interest and sign up to individual activities, or
- Apply for an official advertised post, either by completing an application form and/or attending an interview process to be selected.
Although not exhaustive, the following are some of the numerous student leadership opportunities on offer at Lees Brook Community School:
- Helping to lead whole school events such as fund raising or open evenings
- Delivering Year group assemblies
- Mentoring other students
- Leading in a particular subject area
- Being the captain of a sports team
- Being a School Council representative
- Working with younger students from primary schools
- Acting as a buddy for Year 6 pupils during Transition events
- Leading an Eco committee
- Leading a STEM activity
- Being a student librarian
The Duke of Edinburgh Award
All students from Year 9 upwards have the opportunity to participate in the Duke of Edinburgh Award Scheme at Bronze and Silver Award level. Lees Brook’s Duke of Edinburgh scheme is hugely successful, participation rates are high and the school’s involvement is well-regarded across Derby City and beyond.
Details of the DofE scheme can be found on the school website.